Our network

No injuries in Grandville apartment fire | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

No injuries in Grandville apartment fire
News


GRANDVILLE, Mich. (WZZM) -- Firefighters extinguished flames at Wimbledon Apartments in Grandville Monday afternoon. Crews attacked the fire from both sides of the building, dousing flames with water from ladder trucks.

There are no reports of any injuries, with all residents and pets able to get out safely.

Crews say the fire started in the upper-left unit and spread to several apartments in the three-story building. The fire was eventually stopped by a firewall. It is estimated that residents of 15 units are displaced. Crews were initially looking into whether the fire started on a stove, but authorities now say they've ruled that out since the flames most likely started in the southeast corner of the attic. The property owners say no one was in the unit below the attic there at the time the fire started. It was first reported around 12:30 p.m.

Firefighters tell us strong winds played a role in spreading the fire, but crews were able to contain it and put it out in a timely manner.

This is not the first fire at this location. The fire chief on scene says he has been here four or five times before.

The incident remains under investigation.

Grandville, Wyoming, and Georgetown fire departments responded.



News