UPDATE: I-196 reopens after pavement buckles | News
UPDATE AT 11:11 P.M. (WZZM)-- Road crews have reopened westbound I-196 between mile markers 58 and 60 to through traffic.
Road crews say the pavement was 130 degrees to 140 degrees. They say the concrete underneath heated up, causing the pavement to bubble.
UPDATE AT 6:30 P.M. (WZZM) -- Workers will make repairs on a section of I-196 that bucked due to the heat Friday.
MDOT workers say they will close down one of the westbound lanes of I-196 to smooth out the raised section of road, then close down the other lane to repeat the process. The partial lane closures are expected to last at least two hours.
HUDSONVILLE, Mich. (WZZM) -- Ottawa County dispatchers are asking drivers to find a detour around a buckled portion of I-196.
There is an eight to ten-inch rise in the pavement in the westbound lanes of I-196 at mile marker 58, just west of Hudsonville.
Even though drivers are able to go around the buckling on the shoulder, dispatchers are asking drivers to use an alternate route, like Chicago Drive/M-121.
We have a crew headed to the scene. We'll have developments online and on WZZM 13 News at 11 p.m.
Upcoming Events near Grandville - Hudsonville - Jenison
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- GRFD confirms child playing with fire caused West Side blaze
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State
- My Town Wyoming: Health and Wellness Day returns to Metro Health Village July 31
- Crime spree suspect charged in Wyoming stabbing
- My Town Wyoming: Gordmans ribbon cutting celebration July 25
- Stabbing victim relieved crime wave suspects in custody
- Craigslist killer may have had multiple personality disorder